Monday, July 2, 2007

Titles

I never use to have a problem with titles. I'd have a title sometimes before I'd have my main characters named. But lately, titles confound me. I end up with very lame excuses for titles that are barely adequate for working titles.

Have I reached my title quota? Or am I just thinking about them too hard? I must admit, I can't seem to let it go. I keep playing lame titles through me head, testing them, trying to jar something better loose.

I know what I should do. I should stop thinking about it. I've learned that from when I'm stuck in a scene. I need to step away from that scene for a while, concentrate on something completely different, and then I'm usually hit with an idea when I least expected it (well, truthfully, it's usually in the shower--must be something in the water).

I should do that with this title, because I'm driving myself crazy with my inadequacy. I have a desperate need to write something on the folder, just to make the whole story endeavor official. And until I have that title, it's like the story isn't real. I need to name it to solidify the idea.

Gee, I'm really into this whole titling thing. I should revert back to the old way of titling, one that Kami and I do much of the time, and just call the thing by the characters' names.

Drat, that won't work either, because I have different versions of this particular story written under that titling already, and this version is so completely different.

Grrr.

Back to dwelling on it. Because now even the title generators have failed me.

I don't have writer's block. I have title block.

No comments: