I printed the rejection out. I've decided to see how many of these I can collect before I either give up (never!) or get an agent.
I had a Captain Obvious thought today. If you don't have a good enough submission package to get an agent, how can you hope to sell a book directly to a publisher, especially with a year or more turnaround? I'm so glad I'm looking for an agent rather than shopping publishers.