Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Typing Typing Typing

After hitting a rather rough patch in script writing, I'm back in calm waters, racing toward the end scene. I tapped out seven pages today and came up with a lot of meat for the story in those seven pages (plus blew up the entire Spanish fleet moored in San Agustin). I'm feeling my way forward, still, writing slower than my usual fiction speed, but I enjoy the thought process of picking way through the scene on description and dialogue alone. There is something very freeing about not having to worry so much on point of view and internal dialogue and thought processes.

That being said, I do miss the focus of a point of view character in description. I find myself slipping naturally into a point of view and I have to watch the language I use in the writing. It's a challenge, but one that is teaching me a great deal about word use and phrasing and the language in writing. Such a basic thing I've only paid attention to during the editing stage, and then only when it leaped off the page as poorly executed.

No matter how this script turns out, I think I'll find my fiction writing has improved vastly.

In other news, our computer is slowly dying, eaten up by a virus that nothing seems to clear. The system lags terribly, making typing these entries trying as my fingers go much faster than the cursor keeps pace with and ends up leaving out letters along the way. I might as well be on dialup for all the time it takes the pages to load. Very annoying to think about trying to key in a second draft on this thing. And I've been planning on working on the first edit of my script in July. Might be using the typewriter for that for now unless we can get this great behemoth running better.

For now, though, I have the typewriter and I'm still loving it.

No comments: